Death Cab for Woody

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Where is my mind?

It's freakin' all over the place...

I havent been writing about the CBJ, the OSU Men's BB (that almost won a national championship...by almost, I mean not a chance in hell), or OSU spring football.

Yeah, I am a little removed from the blog and have been for the last couple of months. I apologize to my six loyal readers.

But in an attempt to make amends, I come back to the blogging community asking for a second chance to write about things that mean little to many people yet important to very few.

So...let's start with something that I do know about...hockey and the luck of the draw.

Let's look at the CBJ and it's recent draft history and look at another franchise that doesnt deserve half of the luck it has been granted over the last 15 years....The Pittsburgh Penguins.

CBJ Name-dropping...
Top Brass:
Rick Nash - Most hockey aficianados and causal fans have a least heard of Rick. He is the face of the franchise.

Everybody Else:
Nikolai Zherdev - Columbus' Enigma or Zenigma. Does the term "uncoachable" do anything for ya?
Gilbert Brule - Too bad the CBJ doesnt play in the WHL...otherwise Gilbert would dominate.
Pascal LeClaire - The Grinch that cant finish a season. Fastest legs in hockey.
Rusty Klesla - Every time he is ready to turn the corner, a Kirk Maltby is waiting to check him into an open bench door.
Alex Picard - Couldnt score at an airport spa with $100 bills hanging out of his pocket
Derick Brasard - Drafted in the first round with bad shoulders. Its like buying a BMW with both axles broken.

Of the players listed above, only Nash, Klesla, and Zherdev have provided any meaningful minutes or contributions to make the team better, which is pathetic.


Pittsburgh Name-Dropping...
Top Brass:
Sidney Crosby - Watch the CBC and let me know if you can go more than an hour without seeing a Sid "The Kid" commercial. He scores points in bunches and makes Pittsburgh legit.
Evgeni Malkin - Remember that scene from "Bottle Rockets" where Owen Wilson wonders how one of his friends, who is such an asshole, can have such a nice kitchen.
Marc-Andre Fleury - If you are keeping track at home, that is 3 draft picks in three years in the top two slots.
Jordan Staal - Yeah...that would be a single #1 pick and 3 #2 picks in 4 years.

I didnt even bring Colby Armstrong into the equation.

For the CBJ faithful, let's realize that if the CBJ had accumulated these types of draft picks over the last four years, the CBJ would be in the playoffs. Hell, they would have probably made a run for the Central Division.

So....while we can blame Doug MacLean for a lot of poor management decisions, the CBJ fans need to realize that there is a lot of luck involved in a building a great team. "Cant-miss" prospects are normally in the top 3-5 picks of the draft.

Amazingly enough, I just realized that Dougy Mac has just been fired this evening...

Apparently, his poor management decisions have caught up with him.

Happy Trails Doug....

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • As one of the CBJ sponsors would say, Life comes at you fast. Please do me a favor and not allow any pro-Doug crap to be posted on your site. I can't believe that he has defenders out there. They still can't be blaming Gallant, because he never was even allowed to coach the team himself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 AM, April 19, 2007  

  • I sure hope that post did not sound Pro-Doug. Otherwise, I might just delete it altogether.

    I am glad that he is gone. I know that there are some that think he did a good job building up the farm, but I keep looking at the players waiting in the wings(regardless of the Hockey's Future ranking) and I dont see players that are going to make a difference.

    This team has so many needs right now that you can pretty much chalk up another year of inconsistent hockey.

    Let's hope that Norrena is working on his conditioning this summer...we are going to need him next year...and he is going to take a beating.

    I wonder if we can bring back Anson Carter for another year? doh...

    By Blogger YNBA (artist formerly known as Herringbone), at 9:41 AM, April 19, 2007  

  • I do not think you sounded pro-Doug at all.
    I am going to open a Guinness and drink it happliy knowing that we are finally turning a corner, hopefully not farther into Dante's Infreno, but more like something you would see in Slapshot.
    With Dougy gone, Hitchcock may be able to coach CBJ to a respectable season (not playoff but repectfable). Agreed, we still have a long way to go but with my new home being Dallas, I can wait becuase it sure beats the hell out of being a Stars fan. Seriously; Cowboys, Stars, Rangers, T.O. this is hell. I hope CBJ shows up next year or I am moving to Guam and rooting for Tottenham Hotspurs and forgetting about every other sport.

    Nice name drop...Anson Carter, makes me wonder where Espen Knutsen is right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 PM, April 20, 2007  

  • Never thought you were pro-Dougie. I just wanted to warn you before they appeared out of nowhere and started with their "Doug invented hockey" bullshit. The man gets $1.6 to go away, but we're stuck here with a lemon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM, April 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home