Death Cab for Woody

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Booster gives USC Player $18,001. USC Slithers Out of Penalties.

I know this will sound like whining coming from a Buckeye. But if I am a Pac10 school or an Oklahoma administrator, I am asking questions on the NCAA's ruling on USC WR Dwayne Jarrett. His total benefit from a booster (Matt Leinart's Father...yes...he is a booster by NCAA standards) totaled $18,001 from the rent and utilities paid for in Dwayne's name by Mr Leinhart to "ease" the financial burden associated with living off-campus.


I dont even have enough money for sleeves. How in the hell will I pay back $18,001 to charity?

I guess what the NCAA is really saying to all of those schools out there that have rogue boosters is that you should wait to dole out any pro-active punishments. I dont know if JT would like a "do over" with Troy Smith and his $500-handshake, but I am sure that Stoops is probably thinking that maybe he overreacted with the dismissal of Rhett Bomar.

All in all, the NCAA infractions committee just made a murky benefits rule pretty much opaque at this point.

Pete should be feeling pretty good about himself. He played the system, got an All-American receiver back in the fray, and reached Barry Switzer-status all in one day. Kudos to you, Satan!

Myles...I fart in your general direction.


In Buckeyeland, there is a single moral to this story....
$500 > $18,001 to the NCAA....unless you are Sneaky Pete.

***Update...

HeismanPundit has chimed in with his take, which is basically dripping with USC homerism and takes the stance that it was different than other benefits received by other players....from boosters. I think that this is the chicken-shit approach to look at a group of USC compliance administrators that seem to allow more and more shit to go down in Southern Cal (Hello...Reggie's Dad). I guess it will take a Clarrett-like level of activity to reduce USC to the level of a normal university in the eyes of the NCAA. I understand the standard Pete Carroll line will be used as a defense("USC knew nothing about or had nothing to do with these activities"), but I think it is at the point where this line is going to grow very old...very quickly. Maybe he can have a press conference Uncle Johnny Papapapapadaaakis' Greek Restaurant and talk about how its boosters really dont do anything wrong at all.

***Update

I spelled Leinart incorrectly. Why couldn't Matt's last name be Smiht errr Smith......:)

Thanks...SMU0104 at Bucknuts

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • It's kind of a gray area for me. I know people with arrangements not too different from that, so I say "let it slide." But then, I think, the people I know are paying maybe a few hundred less than their roommate a year, not several thousand dollars less.

    So basically, I don't know how I feel about it. I guess Jarrett got off light, but I do think there's a difference between your buddy's dad covering some of the rent for you and his son, and getting paid for work you didn't do because you are the star QB.

    Oh, and the NCAA sucks.

    By Blogger Sean, at 12:26 PM, August 12, 2006  

  • I understand the existence of a gray area, but the NCAA just opened up a giant loophole for more people to try and take advantage of the system. Take it for what it is....a violation. You can say that he didnt know, but the bottom line is that if you have a question about whether or not something is OK by NCAA standards, you better be asking the univesity compliance office...not just going ahead and doing it. The same thing goes with the Bush episode with his parents and the house they couldnt afford. I know there are other sports that require compliance policing on the SC campus, but Football has little more opportunity for issues than the USC Equestrian Team. The fact that these things keep happening shows weak spots in the USC dynasty, but how long will Senaky Pete be able to hold off th NCAA. 2 years? 3 years? Probably just long enough that the sanctions will come right after he goes back to the NFL, but I am sure when it happens we will hear all about how bad the cheating gotten and that all of the other Universities can thank OSU for setting the Gold Standard, according to fantastic media personalities like Bayless, Stephen A Smith, Tommy Friend and others.

    OH yeah...I almost forgot...Myles sucks ass...

    By Blogger YNBA (artist formerly known as Herringbone), at 5:46 PM, August 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home